I want to inform you of an important vote coming up for our district on Saturday, December 10. Jefferson Parish residents will vote on a renewal of the Jefferson Parish Public School System’s existing millage of 4 mills. As stakeholders in JPPSS, it is important we are knowledgeable about this millage renewal, take the proactive step of voting, and are prepared to answer questions we may receive from family, friends, and other members of the community. Here are some basic points of information.
- This is a renewal and will NOT result in a tax increase.
- The 4 mills (approximately $14 million) is dedicated to the continuation and expansion of our technology department, routine maintenance of our schools and buildings, and capital projects.
- The technology funds go towards basic needs like laptops for teachers, the infrastructure necessary for internet access in our schools and buildings, maintenance for computers and other classroom technology, and technology support for teachers and staff members.
- A portion of the technology funds allows the district to be in compliance with the state online testing requirements.
- The average age of school buildings in our district is 53 years. It is crucial that these maintenance funds are available to meet the needs of our students and employees and to maintain a safe learning environment.
- Some of the renovations we use these funds for include ADA compliance projects, new parking lots and sidewalks, updated communications systems for our schools, and emergency repairs.
Please encourage your family, friends, and coworkers to vote on Saturday, December 10. You can also vote early until Saturday, December 3. Together, we have a wide circle of influence. Thank you for making Jefferson Parish such a great community in which to work and live. May you and your family have a blessed holiday season.