First Reading co-authored by Mr. Floyd, Mr. Johnson, Mr. St. Pierre & Mr. Bonura
Move that the collective bargaining agreement adopted on August 5, 2016, through June 30, 2018, will be extended through June 30, 2021.
First Reading authored by Ms. Denapolis-Bosarge
Move that the Board enter into a long term lease agreement with Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy for the land at Vintage and Loyola as suitable property has been reserved via resolution by the City of Kenner for the future development of Haynes Academy for Advanced Studies.
First Reading authored by Ms. Bourgeois
Move that the Board appoint a legislative committee chair annually and to provide a framework of activities in the manner indicated in the attachment.
First Reading authored by Ms. Bourgeois
In efforts to realize the highest possible bid for surplus property, move that the sale/auction be advertised as prescribed by state law and in addition include signage on the property; a JPPSS website listing surplus property; and a weekly PSA on our TV network and any other recommended high- impact low-cost opportunities for 30 days prior to the sale date.
Legislative Committee Chair
GOAL: To ensure a consistent message for relationships with legislative and local officials.
The suggested responsibilities of the chair shall include: Working with the JPPSS administration & Board committee to establish legislative priorities, key issues and a framework for the upcoming year. These will be presented to and approved by the board in the fall of each year. The information will be used as a guide for our legislative liaison to weigh bills and amendments against the Board approved framework. In addition, it will be used by our communication department for quarterly communication to legislators and community stakeholders.
- Coordinate a fall breakfast/lunch meeting with State legislators and parish officials, preferably at a school site to share/review the established priorities and key issues. Meeting will serve as a round table to facilitate JPSB & elected official relations, allow a hands-on forum to showcase different schools and programs and encourage open discussion/dialogue, allow JPSB to determine if specific legislation should be filed to address any particular issue.
- At the beginning of the legislative session, set the date that JPPSS will host the Jefferson Parish Legislative Delegation in conjunction with the Jefferson Parish Council at a lunch meeting in Baton Rouge. The purpose of this meeting will be to share updated priorities based on bills and issues relative to legislation in process.
- Work with relevant department heads and the Communications Department to develop an electronic informational communication for each key issue to be distributed approximately once a month.
- Communicate with a legislative liaison through the superintendent’s office the significant impacts of legislative bills
- Chair legislative committee meetings as needed to discuss impact of legislative bills. Legislative Committee will submit the data collected to the JPSB along with recommendations for Board approval as needed.
- Pre-filed and filed legislation will be routed through the Superintendent’s office to the relevant department head for analysis and impact to JPPSS including pertinent rationale, data, or supporting documentation. Legislative Liaison will provide updated information on bills and issues of interest/impact to the delegation members on an ongoing basis.
Superintendent’s designee will compile the responses for Superintendent and Legislative Committee review and identify bills of significant impact. Present Impact information to the Board Legislative committee if outside of annual framework agreed upon at fall meetings.
JPPSS Legislative Liaison will use established annual priorities as a guide to communicate our issues and concerns to legislators, will work with Board Legislative Chair to engage LSBA (if members) on issues of key interest to JPPSS, and ensure relevant legislation is routed to the superintendent’s office for analysis.