501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
The talent education program (TEP) provides educational services to students who have been identified through a state evaluation as being talented in the areas of theatre, music and visual arts and have the potential for exceptional artistry and performing arts achievement in grades pre-kindergarten to 12. The goal of TEP is to challenge, support and inspire talented students through differentiated, accelerated, compacted and enrichment learning opportunities designed to meet their unique academic, social and emotional needs.
The support and appraisal department identifies students who are eligible for TEP. A student must be referred, screened and evaluated before entering the program. Once a student has been identified an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is implemented and instruction services initiated.
The department also provides services for the gifted program. Please feel free to contact us at (504) 349-7901.
Programs & Services
- Performance Skills: Improvisation, characterization, vocal development, stage movement, acting styles and methods
- Theatre History: Greek and Roman theatre, medieval theatrical forms, Renaissance theatre and Shakespeare, modern forms, and absurdist theatre
- Analysis and Criticism: Play analysis, dramatic theory, interpretive reading, and dramatic forms
- Theatre Production: Directing, scene design, stagecraft, and stage management
- Theatre Business: Current professional theatre practices, organization and management funding, and marketing and publicity.
- Theory and Analysis: Sight singing, rhythm, melodic dictation, harmonic dictation, stylistic form and analysis
- Music History: Major musical periods, composers, styles and forms
- Creative Activities: Improvisation, arranging, composition
- Aesthetic Perception and Performance: Technical facility, varied music styles, musical expression, evaluation of performances
- Music business: Current music occupations, funding, marketing, publicity, recording and publishing, and computer music
Talented Visual Arts
- Aesthetic Development: Essential art elements, principles of design, respect for commonalities and differences in art; art as expressions of ideas, feelings, and culture
- Art History: Styles, periods, movements, simplified chronology, outstanding artists
- Analysis and Criticism: Observe, describe, analyze, interpret, and make critical judgments of artwork
- Creative Expression: Develop creative problem solving skills in “art making;” experience a variety of media—-drawing, painting, graphic design, printmaking, mixed media, sculpture, photography, and architecture
- Art Business: Career opportunities, finding funding, marketing and publicity
- Gifted and Talented Education Option Form
- Talented Music Parent Permission and Screening Form
- Talented Theatre Parent Permission and Screening Form
- TVA Parent Permission Form for Screening
- TVA Parent Screening Letter for Elementary Students
- TVA Parent Screening Letter for MIddle and High School Students
- TVA Screening Results Parent Letter(s)
- TVA Program Release Form
Forms and Links
- Talented Education Program Screening Report-2
- Tip Sheet for Gifted Education and Talented Education Screening Input Form
- The link for the Talented Screening Online Input Form is listed below. Both the actual PDF form and Google Docs form must be completed. Please read the tip sheet with specific directions.
|Marsh, Barbara||Office Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Richard, Raychell||Director of Gifted and Talented Instruction and Counselor Educationemail@example.com|
|Salsman, Chris||Administrative Assistant, Special Education||Chris.Salsman@jppss.k12.la.us|