501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
The Jefferson Parish Public School System early childhood department seeks to provide foundational experiences to help your child become a successful life-long learner. We know that Early Childhood education in particular is critical to a child’s success. JPPSS offers pre-kindergarten classes from three programs – LA 4, 8(g) and Title I – each with different criteria and priority for admission.
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Full-day attendance
- Low student-teacher ratio
- Supports and services for children with identified disabilities
- Transition meetings to kindergarten
PRE-KINDERGARTEN APPLICATION PROCESS
The Jefferson Parish Public School System is pleased to announce a collaborative Pre-Kindergarten application process for all children registering for publicly funded spots in child care, Head Start, Early Head Start, NSECD and elementary schools in Jefferson Parish. This Pre-K registration process was designed with the goal of convenience and accessibility for our parents. Parent can access submit applications at: www.jeffersonchild.com
The following documentation will need to be uploaded with application:
- The child’s original birth certificate:
- In order to be eligible for a 4-year old class in the 2016-2017 session, a child must be 4 years of age on or before September 30, 2016.
- A copy of income – Income can be verified by submitting at least one of the following:
- Individual income tax form 2015 1040/1040A or 2015 W-2 forms
- Documentation showing current status as a public assistance recipient
- Copies of the two most recent and consecutive check stubs from working parent(s)/guardian(s)
- If unable to provide check stubs, provide a letter from the parent including the amount of money received on a weekly basis and a statement saying that they are paid cash for the work they do. The letter must be dated and signed by the parent.
- Proof of residency – MUST reside in Jefferson Parish
- Two of the following documents are acceptable:
- Current utility bill, telephone bill, Direct TV bill, cable bill, car insurance bill or deposit for utilities (issued within the month of registration)
- Driver’s license or state approved identification card showing the current address of the parent/legal guardian
- Legal document issued by or approved by the U.S. Office of Immigration and Naturalization
- Two of the following documents are acceptable:
- Updated Child’s Immunization Records can be submitted. Valid State of Louisiana Universal Certificate of Immunization is REQUIRED for child to attend school.
- Special Education documentation ~IEP/Evaluation (only when applicable)
Upon submission of their child’s online application at www.jeffersonchild.com, families will receive an email notifying them that “Your application has been verified as eligible!”
Once the child has been placed in an available seat, families will receive another email containing the following statement, “Congratulations! _____ has been awarded a seat at ______ Elementary School (funding source here). This seat is pending, given final approval of child eligibility by the program or site. You must log in to your account at www.jeffersonchild.com within __ days and claim your placement within your dashboard. If you do not accept the seat in your dashboard within __ days your application will be automatically declined.”
Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you if the seat was accepted or declined in error as the system was set up to avoid any unauthorized changes by anyone other than the family regarding accepting or declining seats.
Failure to complete all application tasks online and submit all required documentation WILL result in the family giving up or losing the child’s seat in a JPPSS classroom. The next child on the wait list will be notified of the opening.
Early Childhood Problems with the online application
If you are experiencing any problems with your online application or placement via www.jeffersonchild.com in an early childhood program please email the Jefferson Early Childhood Department at firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed written message. Assistance will only be provided to families who request assistance in writing via email.
For contact information on your JPPSS school, click here.
JEFFERSON PARISH PUBLIC SCHOOL PROGRAMS DEFINED:
As Louisiana’s chief preschool program, the Cecil J. Picard LA4 Early Childhood Program provides economically disadvantaged children with early childhood education during a six-hour-a-day program and before- and after-school enrichment if funding is available. Priority is given to students from economically disadvantaged families.
Title I is a federal grant awarded to the district based upon the number of economically disadvantaged students. JPPSS dedicates funding for Early Childhood classes to students identified as eligible because they are at risk of failing to meet the state’s academic achievement standards when they reach school age.
|Scully, Annette||Director of Early Childhood Educationemail@example.com|