501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
School-wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (SWPBIS) is part of the Student Support Unit of the Jefferson Parish Public School System. School-Wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports provides an operational framework for improving student academic and behavior outcomes. It ensures all students have access to the most effective and accurately implemented instructional and behavioral practices and interventions. SWPBIS is NOT a curriculum, but IS a decision-making framework that guides selection, integration and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving academic and behavioral outcomes for all students. The basic SWPBIS approach is to use proactive, research-based strategies to teach clearly defined behavioral expectations. It establishes ongoing behavior supports that can be used by ALL students, staff, parents, volunteers, and community members.
Why does SWPBIS work?
Research shows that when a school environment is positive and predictable, students feel safe, have better academic performance, higher test results and make better behavior choices. Schools also show a gain in instructional time and a reduction in discipline referrals and out of school suspensions.
SWPBIS in JPPSS
JPPSS has a SWPBIS district contact person who coordinates trainings, supports schools, and serves as a liaison between the district and the LDOE. Each school in JPPSS has a School-wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports Team comprised of a team leader, an administrator, faculty and staff members representing various grade levels and departments of the school, and support personnel.
School Climate Transformation Grant
JPPSS was awarded the USDOE School Climate Transformation Grant in 2014. Through this grant, JPPSS has partnered with Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, the Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office, the Jefferson Parish District Attorney, and Celebration Hope Center to work together to promote healthy youth development while addressing issues linked to safety, discipline policies and procedures and improvements in school climate and behavioral outcomes for all students. This grant funding provides an opportunity to better coordinate current efforts to enhance and sustain our existing SWPBIS multi-tiered behavioral framework allowing the implementation of a truly comprehensive model that will address these needs more effectively.
NOTE: Schools will be reimbursed for subs for all trainings offered through School Climate Transformation Grant and Region 1 Consortium funds.
Upcoming Trainings: Register on AVATAR
- SCT/SWPBIS: Team Leaders and C0-Leaders (only) Meeting
- January 10, 2017 (Eastbank)
- January 11, 2017 (Westbank)
- PBIS Consortium: Social Skills
- January 7, 2017
- PBIS Consortium: Universal Refresher
- January 21, 2017
- PBIS Consortium: Brain Breaks (Go Noodle)
- January 21, 2017 (Please bring your laptop)
- Project AWARE: Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA)
- January 7 and January 21, 2017 (MUST attend both days)
- PBIS Consortium: Conscious Discipline Overview
- February 4, 2017
Downloads and Links
- SWPBIS Due Dates 2016-17
- SWPBIS Team Master List 2016-17
- CAP Verification of Implementation Checklist 2016-17
- SMART Goals defined
- SMART Goals worksheet (blank)
- Pre-Approval Form-Incentives
- SWPBIS Incentives Guidelines (USDOE)
- SWPBIS Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI)
- TFI Walk-through Tool
- TFI Tier 1 Features
- TFI Action Planning-Form-Dec-12-2016-due-date_
- TFI Tier II Features
- TFI Tier III Features
- Instructions to register on Coursewhere
- Instructions to Access PBIS Monthly Report
- Act 136 Guidelines & Resources
- Smart Snacks in Schools Link to USDA powerpoint
- USDA Standards (Jill Turley)
- Smart Snack Guidelines Louisiana
|Thomas, Pauline||SWPBIS Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Valls, Erin||School Climate Transformation Grant Project Directoremail@example.com|